Saturday, April 22, 2017

Asking for help is a strength, not a weakness

After watching the Ted Talk that Chris Armijo sent to us, I do agree that most people have a hard time asking for help and genuinely taking advice and constructive criticism for what it is. I find it often times with myself that I take criticism way too personally and I'm constantly worried that I'm letting people down, especially employers.  I've always preferred to work through something on my own before admitting I don't know how to do something and ask for help or instruction. I'm very stubborn in that sense.

But over the past few years in work and in school I've come to realize that this is a trait I really need to work on. Though I've never really had a tragic mess-up due to "working it out on my own", I know now that people don't usually get annoyed when you ask them something to clarify that you're completing a task the way they want it to be done. If anything, they'll be grateful that they won't have to go back and fix something that you've done incorrectly. It also allows you to complete the task with confidence, not having to second guess if you're doing it right, and this can save you time and stress that isn't needed.

People who ask for help are not weak, they are seizing an opportunity to learn and grow, and there is no shame in that.


2 comments:

  1. Totally agree with this Erin. I think its nice to ask for help in some situations. It gives you reassurance about some things that you many have been feeling uneasy about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also struggle with asking for help, but I've come to realize through work and school that asking for help can safe a lot of time. It is better to be sure of your tasks then to waste time struggling with trying to figure it out yourself.

    ReplyDelete