Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Customer Service Lessons from Lyft


I recently read an article by Zeynep Ilgaz from entrepreneur.com that I thought was kind of cool. There's lessons about leadership everywhere we look, especially which the overwhelming presence of media today, but this woman actually said she learned one of the best lessons from an experience she had with a company after an injury that put her in an extremely inconvenient position. Successful companies today realize that bad news will always spread faster than good news, and bad news can swallow up your reputation in an instant. Take United Airlines as an example. The best way to succeed is to ensure above all else that customers have a positive experience and keep your name away from any sort of negative publicity. The excerpt from the article is as followed: 
"Recently, I garnered some new customer service lessons from an unexpected source. I had fractured my right foot, and doctors told me I wouldn't be able to drive for nearly three months. I began using Lyft for rides to and from work. And, en route, my amazing Lyft drivers revealed three key customer service concepts all entrepreneurs should apply to their business:

1. Leverage the employee effect: Nearly all drivers told me they loved working for Lyft. They said the company treats them fairly, and they especially appreciate the many incentives provided by the brand's Accelerate rewards program. As a customer, I felt great supporting a company that conscientiously works to reward its employees. Knowing my drivers were happy, in fact, made me happy -- which is actually a scientifically proven phenomenon
2. Focus on proactive improvement: According to the Harvard Business Review, the easier you make your customers' lives, the more likely they are to be loyal to your brand. This theory rang true in my experience with Lyft. The app was quick and easy to use, and the drivers proactively made sure the cleanliness of the car was first rate, and the temperature and even the music were all to my liking. I never once had to ask them to turn up the heat or turn down the music. 
3. Personalize the experience: It may sound simple, but seeing my name on a neon sign every time I entered a Lyft car made the experience feel extra special. It confirmed to me that the company recognized and valued me as a customer. This is no small thing: Microsoft’s 2016 U.S. State of Customer Servicereport revealed that 66 percent of consumers surveyed said they didn't want to reintroduce themselves every time they interact with a brand. They expected companies to consistently provide personalized support and service."

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/293038 

No comments:

Post a Comment