Saturday, April 22, 2017

Online etiquette

Warning, this is a little bit of a rant...

Maybe it's just me, but nothing is more irritating when than when I take the time to write out a well-worded, thoughtful email, signed "Best regards, Erin McNamara" to someone, and all I receive back is "ok" or "k" or "Thanks, Sent from my iPhone".

I've noticed this more this year than ever, and it's made me really think about online etiquette and what it says about me as an individual. I think it just goes back to having pride in yourself and respect for the people you interact with. Even something as simple as proper grammar in a quick text or email, reiterating to someone that you're grateful for their help, or even taking the time to make a phone call or write a handwritten thank you note can make all the difference.

These skills are seemingly becoming a lost art, and it's a shame. Communication and professionalism go hand in and and I've found that the ability to write and speak well can get you very far.


1 comment:

  1. Great point Erin! Communication is key. It will definitely get you far in your career.

    ReplyDelete