Thursday, April 27, 2017

Meetings

Erin and Kyle presented this week on holding meetings and I think this was one of my favorite lessons so far because it's so relevant. Meetings are tough because gathering people in your workplace, club or organization together in one room at the same time isn't always an easy task. Everyone has different schedules, and the timing is sometimes difficult. Once you've managed to get everyone in attendance, it's another matter to keep them engaged and contributing effectively throughout. I loved the video they showed about "every meeting ever"(linked below), and the different personality roles that people can have during meetings. It's easy for personalities to clash and for people to get offended in environments like this, so as they told us, it's important to establish ground rules and meeting etiquette.

I know I have not attended many formal business meetings yet, but my summer job at a restaurant has mini-meetings at the beginning of every shift run but the manager. They're really effective because they're quick and concise and they manage to get everyone on the same page as to what needs to be changed or accomplished that day.

5 comments:

  1. So glad you enjoyed our presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also really enjoyed this presentation. I agree that it was super relevant and I loved the video too. It was such as good representation of the many different personalities often found within meetings. I'm definitely going to pay close attention to this during my internship this summer, where I am sure I will be attending many meetings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this video too! I have come across a few of these people in my time working. Although these characters are exaggerated, they definitely have some truth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Erin, glad you enjoyed it. We really wanted a topic that will affect everyone in the future at an organization they are with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we all really liked this video. I just shared it on my newsletter. Something to think about is the manpower cost of a meeting. Let's say you pull a mid-level administrator out of her office to go to a meeting. Let's say that person makes $100,000/year. If the meeting lasts 1 hour, that's $50 in personnel expenses. Now if you bring 9 of her colleagues into your meeting, that's $500. Imagine now you decide to invite some of the medical staff - who make $300,000 - that's about $150/hour in salary expense, never mind lost revenue. I find people forget this calculus. Meetings are expensive.

    ReplyDelete