Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Handling Mistakes

It's no secret that in both our personal and professional lives, we're going to make plenty of mistakes throughout the course of our lives. While it's great to try to prepare for every situation as best you can, everyone falls flat on their face sometimes, and there's a few different ways I've found that people typically respond:

1) Get Defensive: I know this is a human tendency to try to explain yourself and try to deflect blame for something that occurred.

2) Avoid the situation entirely: Also known as denial. Some people just choose to ignore when they fail and act as if it didn't happen at all.

I know that each of these are easy coping mechanisms, and are sometimes seen as an "easy out" of a situation. Though it may definitely be harder, the best things I've found that you can do is simply own your mistakes. When others see that you acknowledge your mistakes and have a plan in place to either render and fix what you've done and move forward, they'll be less likely to be upset with the fact that you made a mistake in the first place. I know for myself, I have a greater amount of respect for people who admit that they're not perfect, are human and do indeed make mistakes. People who's ego's are too large to admit errors are sometimes hard to work with. Mistakes are human, and the faster we can accept that life happens, the faster we can work through it and strategize plans for forward movement.

2 comments:

  1. I definitely aggre with you, mistakes are human and everybody is going to make them at some point in their career. i believe the best leaders accept their mistakes and learn from them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree, every human is not perfect and mistakes are inevitable. A good leader will make a mistake, and correct It based on the outcomes of the action. Personally, I've made mistakes at my job and the best thing is to learn from them.

    ReplyDelete